Proof of Concepts
OntarioMD works with EMR vendors, clinicians and other partner organizations on Proof of Concepts to define and evaluate emerging EMR functional and EHR integration requirements. The outcomes from these Proof of Concepts inform future EMR Specifications to be published by OntarioMD.
OntarioMD recognizes that EMR vendor innovation is an essential component to Proof of Concept development, and values its partnership with the EMR vendor community. All EMR vendors with OntarioMD-certified EMR offerings will be selected to participate in Proof of Concepts through an invitational Request for Service (RFS) process. OntarioMD also values participation of its practicing physician community to provide first-hand insight, experience and guidance in demonstrating the clinical and practice value of its Proof of Concepts. Practicing physician members from the community are selected to participate at various stages throughout the lifecycle of the Proof of Concepts. Their selection varies and can leverage physician representatives from the community (family physicians and specialists), members of the OntarioMD Peer Leader Program, and/or physicians who are clients of the participating EMR vendors.
EMR Physician Dashboard
OntarioMD is leading an initiative that will demonstrate improvement in the clinical value of EMRs through an EMR Physician Dashboard Proof of Concept that:
- Provides a framework for real-time access to an introductory set of high-value provincial indicators from Health Quality Ontario(HQO), the Canadian Institute for Health Information (CIHI) and the Association of Family Health Teams of Ontario (AFHTO) along with indicators to improve management of physician practices, (e.g., % of eligible patients within roster who have been screened for colorectal cancer)
- Associates high-value indicators with data quality of the underlying elements, e.g., number of patients eligible for colorectal cancer screening who have no screening activity recorded in their chart
- Is provincially scalable and can be easily expanded with new and evolving data quality, practice, and clinical indicators
OntarioMD is pleased to be working with TELUS Health and OSCAR EMR to validate and finalize requirements by the end of 2016 that will inform an adoption strategy, which will then inform future EMR Specifications to be more broadly adopted across the EMR landscape.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is OntarioMD's EMR Physician Dashboard Proof of Concept initiative?
OntarioMD is leading a Proof of Concept initiative with OSCAR EMR and Telus Health Solutions Inc. to demonstrate improved clinical value to Ontario physicians through an EMR Physician Dashboard framework. A limited number of physicians using one of the participating vendors' EMRs will participate in the initiative. The EMR Physician Dashboard framework:
- Provides access to an introductory set of high-value provincial primary health care indicators centred on preventive care and chronic disease management.
- Associates indicators with data quality improvement.
- Is provincially scalable and expandable for new and evolving provincial indicators.
How will an EMR Physician Dashboard framework help physicians?
The EMR Physician Dashboard framework gives physicians easy-to-interpret visual displays of their patients' outcomes based on widely-recognized, standard indicators and the most up-to-date EMR data. Dashboards provide immediate clinical value by enabling physicians to be more proactive by accessing lists of patients associated with each indicator and taking any necessary action to improve patient care.
EMR Dashboards help physicians standardize their data input to achieve their personal targets and improve the quality of patient data in their EMR. Physicians do not need to be reporting or programming experts to make the dashboard work for them.
Who is involved in creating the EMR Dashboard framework?
OntarioMD, in conjunction with the participating EMR vendors, OSCAR EMR and Telus Health Solutions Inc., are creating the framework with input from a Physician Advisory Group to ensure physician needs are reflected. Representatives from provincial and pan-Canadian indicator frameworks, i.e., Health Quality Ontario (HQO), the Association of Family Health Teams of Ontario (AFHTO) and the Canadian Institute for Health Information (CIHI) have participated in the Physician Advisory Group to define provincial indicators used in the framework.
How was the introductory set of indicators selected?
An introductory set of 17 indicators have been chosen based on collaboration with HQO, AFHTO, CIHI and the Physician Advisory Group. These indicators focus on preventive care and chronic disease management. The introductory indicators are defined within the following categories:
- Cancer Screening
- Coronary Artery Disease
What is the timeline for this initiative?
The Proof of Concept demonstration phase runs from June through November 2016 and consists of the following activities:
- Training (June - July 2016)
- Initial data evaluation and survey completion (July 2016)
- Learning, understanding and vendor support (July - October 2016)
- Final data evaluation and survey completion (November 2016)
Is there a cost for physicians to use the EMR Physician Dashboard?
Physician participants will be granted full use of the dashboard functionality throughout their participation in the Proof of Concept demonstration at no cost. After the Proof of Concept demonstration has concluded, access to the dashboard functionality may be restricted, altered, or provided through a different framework based on findings from the Proof of Concept.
How can I participate in the Proof of Concept demonstration?
OntarioMD is collaborating with OSCAR EMR and Telus Health Solutions Inc. to select a limited number of physicians for participation based on criteria that will help assess the value of the EMR Physician Dashboard framework and success of the initiative through a Benefits Evaluation. While subsequent phases of this initiative may seek volunteers to participate, the current phase is limited to physicians who have been approached by OntarioMD and the participating vendors.
How can I receive more information about the EMR Physician Dashboard initiative?
If you have any questions about this initiative, would like more detailed information about the EMR Physician Dashboard Proof of Concept initiative or the dashboard framework, please contact EMRdashboard@ontariomd.com.
Provincial eConsult Initiative
OntarioMD is working with the Ontario Telemedicine Network eConsult and the Champlain BASE eConsult services on the Provincial eConsult Initiative. An eConsult enables family physicians and nurse practitioners (requesting clinicians) to engage in a secure, electronic dialogue with specialists to manage patient care, without the need for a face-to-face visit.
The eConsult initiative aligns with the Patients First: Action Plan for Health Care by providing faster access to specialists, connecting requesting clinicians with specialists, informing and educating requesting clinicians' clinical decisions and protecting patients from potential adverse drug events.
The Provincial eConsult Initiative is being rolled out across Ontario using a phased approach. Phase 1 was a pilot that resulted in a
Benefits Evaluation to inform the broader provincial rollout. Due to the pilot's success, it will continue as Phase 2 to March 2017 so that family physicians, nurse practitioners and their patients can keep benefiting from better access to specialist advice. During Phase 2, enhancements will be made to the OTN eConsult service to meet provincial eConsult requirements and activities will be undertaken to pilot integration between the provincial eConsult solution and OntarioMD-certified EMRs.
Phase 2 (October 2015 - March 2017)
The goals of Phase 2 are:
- Continuation of the pilot services
- Enhancement of the OTN eConsult service to meet provincial requirements
- Proof of Concept to integrate EMRs with eConsult Objectives of the Proof of Concept:
Plan for provincial expansion
- The ability to perform eConsult functions using an EMR as the point of service
- Single sign-on between the EMR and the provincial eConsult solution
- EMR Integration with the provincial eConsult solution through the provincial Health Integration Access Layer (HIAL)
OntarioMD is pleased to be working with KAI Innovations and QHR Technologies on the eConsult EMR Integration Proof of Concept.